Buñuelos: A Festive Delight from Colombia to the World
Welcome back to our exciting culinary journey through Latin America on the UniMarket Recipes blog! As we embrace the holiday season and indulge in festive treats, we're thrilled to introduce you to Colombia's traditional dish, Buñuelos.
Buñuelos are an essential part of Colombian culture, eagerly anticipated during the festive season. This dish showcases the country's rich culinary heritage, offering simplicity and incredible flavour. The dough, made from cassava flour, wheat, and cheese, creates a unique texture and taste. Rolled into small balls, these doughy delights are deep-fried until golden brown, sometimes served with a dusting of powdered sugar. The result is a heavenly blend of crunchy, savoury, and sweet flavours.
While the Buñuelos recipe varies regionally and among Colombian families, the process always involves a grand family affair. During Christmas, generations come together in the kitchen to prepare these delightful treats, keeping family traditions alive and celebrating the warmth and love that define Colombian culture.
If you're eager to recreate the magic of Colombian Christmas in your home, we've got you covered. Below is a step-by-step guide for making Buñuelos in our two ways:
The easy way: you can use our mix ready to prepare and follow the instructions on the box and enjoy tasty Buñuelos in just a couple of minutes.
The second way:
- 1 cup (140g) cassava flour
- ½ cup (65g) cornstarch
- 1 cup (150g) shredded cheese, feta
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons (14.2g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Add cassava flour, cornstarch, cheese, sugar, salt, baking powder, butter, and the egg in a big mixing bowl. Mix with the tip of your fingers.
- Add hot water and milk, and knead until soft dough forms.
- Roll the dough into small balls (approximately 1.5 inches in diameter) and set them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the balls until they turn golden brown (around five minutes).Heat oil on low or between 320 – 340 F (160 – 170 C).
- Place the fried Buñuelos on paper towels to drain excess oil.
Buñuelos represent the spirit of Christmas and the richness of Colombian culture. As Colombians continue to share their traditions, we encourage you to adopt their culinary customs and enjoy Buñuelos during the holiday season. Food has the power to bring people together, creating a sense of belonging and connection. So, gather with your loved ones, try our recipe, and savour the joy of Buñuelos.
Stay tuned for more exciting and mouth-watering recipes from Latin America as we continue our culinary tour. Grab your apron, visit our UniMarket online store or physical store for all the ingredients or get ready-to-eat Buñuelos, and let's embark on this culinary adventure together. Enjoy this culinary journey, amigos, and stay tuned for more delicious recipes from UniMarket.